Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Boom! by Mark Haddon

Last summer I read Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, and I was really struck by his writing style. (Great book by the way.) So when I came across Boom! on my local library's ebook list I figured I was guaranteed to enjoy it.

Now it was a fun read - however, I found myself to be completely caught off guard when I discovered that it wasn't just a story of fiction, but science-fiction. I'm still not convinced that I had any warning of this. The description of the book on my library site seemed to be from the author explaining that this was the revised edition and that the original had been titled differently and something to do with it being a bad title because no one would buy it due to the fact that they didn't know what the title meant....

Well, anyway, here's the description I felt I missed: Boom! is a novel about a boy that doesn't pay enough attention in class. He and his best friend, that to just might be boarder line child prodigy, overhear two of their teachers speaking in some kind of code after bugging the teacher's lounge to listen in on the weekly meeting to find out if he's getting suspended. The boys start an investigation into this code and the two teachers that unpacks quite a crazy chain of events that just might end up getting the whole world blown to smithereens.

Now this definitely isn't Haddon's best work, but it's fun none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment